[ 1 minutes to read ]
Preaching is prominent in the Scriptures.
- In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea ~ Matthew 3:1
- From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. ~ Matthew 4:17
- And they went out, and preached that men should repent. ~ Mark 6:12
- Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood. ~ Acts 20:28
- Feed the flock of God, which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind ~ 1 Peter 5:2
- Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine. ~ 2 Timothy 4:2
- Till I come, give attendance to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine. ~ 1 Timothy 4:13
Preaching should likewise be prominent in our lives. We are fed by preaching, nourished by preaching, instructed by preaching, reproved by preaching. What is biblical preaching? How are we to know if we are under a biblical ministry? Nehemiah 8:1-12 addresses this question, showing four characteristics of biblical preaching.
- Biblical preaching must originate and continue in the Word of God. God’s Word is mentioned seven times in Nehemiah 8:1-9 as being the subject and object.
- Biblical preaching must expound God’s Word. Ezra “gave the sense” of the text he read (Nehemiah 8:8). Exposition is explaining the meaning and intent of a passage in light of context, grammar, and the totality of Scripture.
- Biblical preaching must be for understanding not deception nor obfuscation. The people left Ezra with understanding of what he taught (Nehemiah 8:12).
- Biblical preaching must be for the joy of the people. Ezra exhorted the people to joy after they had wept at the words of the Law (Nehemiah 8:9-12). The preacher should cherish the glory of Christ in his preaching and yearn to see his people glad in God.
(Visited 5 times, 1 visits today)